Starting school is an exciting time for students and families.
Here are some tips on how you can help your child have a positive start to school.
- Ask your child what they think about starting school.
- Encourage your child to ask questions about going to school.
- Help your child stay healthy. Make sure they have regular health and dental checks and keep immunisations up to date.
- Encourage your child to do things on their own. This could be dressing, going to the toilet, washing their hands, unwrapping their food and opening and closing their drink bottle and lunchbox.
- Talk to friends and other families about what school is like.
- Talk to your child’s early childhood educator about things you can do at home to help your child.
- Practise the things your child will need to do to get ready for school (e.g. putting things in their bag, remembering to take a hat).
- Confirm your before or after school care arrangements and explain these to your child.
- Be positive about starting school and enjoy your child’s excitement.
The Buddy system
Port Melbourne Primary School has a buddy system for all Prep children. Every Prep will be partnered with an older student. This is to help your child have a welcoming experience from the very beginning.
The buddy system helps older children learn to take on responsibility. The younger children know that they have a fellow student they can go to for help.
The Buddy system helps your child make friends and creates a sense of belonging with the school community.